SpagoBI is a Business Intelligence Free Platform, completely realized according to the free
software philosophy. It is a suite of coordinated and integrated tools allowing the development of
a specific BI solution in every business area and market segment. SpagoBI has a modular
structure integrated into the core system. It guarantees solidity and harmony to the platform and
a great extension capability.
Not all the SpagoBI modules are always necessary for every project: you can use the
appropriate SpagoBI module for your project. You can start using a single module with the
guarantee that further extensions will be easy because everything is inserted in an overall vision.
SpagoBI uses many technologies and products already available as Free Open Source
Software: the first one is Spago, the J2EE Framework already released by Engineering
Ingegneria Informatica and Sinapsi. Therefore, SpagoBI inherits Spago's features and technical
characteristics, using them in its specific context:
- it manages specific Business Intelligence objects as reports, OLAP analysis,
Dashboards and Scorecards views and Data Mining models;
- it is focused on data management and on information content and context;
- it supports the BI systems's administrators in the control, validation, certification and
distribution process of the Business Intelligence objects.
BI Portlets: every BI object will be distributed for the end-user through portlet
technology (JSR 168). In this way portlets and the BI objects will be managed and
encapsulated into the portal already chosen for the specific enterprise solution (even if
the portal is realized by means of commercial products).
- Reporting, OLAP Analysis, Data Mining, Dashboards and Scorecards are the BI
objects managed by SpagoBI, everyone with its own execution engine and
development environment. SpagoBI manages the production and validation cycles, the
parametric activation, the navigation, the results versioning and storage in a similar
way although every BI object maintains its distinctive characteristics.
- Reports realize the structured information views; they have a greater diffusion
level according to a static structure (.pdf, .xls, .csv, .html, etc). SpagoBI
enables the navigation capability between different reports, inheriting the
- The multidimensional structures for the OLAP analysis add a higher degree of
freedom and variability. The analysis axis and the observation measures are
structured, this enables to obtain a data examination at various detail levels and
from various perspectives, by means of drill-down, drill-across, slice and dice
- Data Mining algorithms and processes (Neural Networks, Decision Trees,
etc.) will enable data analysis, with the aim to find out hidden information.
SpagoBI support Data Mining models implementations and their results
analysis trough the other Business Intelligence objects.
- In the Management Performance context, SpagoBI provides many widgets
for dashboards structuring and the parametric evaluation of performance
- Query-by-example: it offers a visual mode for data inquiring. It is possible to save
the structure as a template for subsequent reports development, or to export the results
for external elaborations (ex. cvs, XML).
- Interaction with source systems: it provides connectors, protocols and services for
bidirectional data exchange with source systems.
- Meta Repository: SpagoBI is a really integrated platform instead of a confused set of
products thanks to metadata. The meta-repository contains all information about data
(technical and business metadata), processes and rules for the platform management.
- Users profile: it is possible to differentiate the functionalities access rights according
to the user's role.
- Documents management: it is a versioned repository for all the relevant results
provided by the BI objects, in a scheduled way too. Research and detection
functionalities for these documents are provided.
- Scheduling: an off-line activation of all transport and/or import/export data processes,
document production, storage and destruction, etc. is provided.
- Workflow: SpagoBI manages the approval and certification flow for BI objects and
for the relative elaborated documents.
- Administration: it concerns in a support to the management functionalities of the
- Logging/Auditing: corresponding to some control services for the platform's
functional and performance monitoring.
Click here to view a demo of SpagoBI and feel free to contact us for more details about this product.
One of the many benefits commercial open source business intelligence (BI) provides is the ability to allocate business
intelligence budget where it counts - not on large, up front software licenses, but on the professional services and expertise it takes to ensure that your BI project is successful. Space Enterprises offers a wide range of consulting services for the design, development, deployment, and maintenance of applications based on the Pentaho Open BI Suite. From data warehouse design and implementation to report and dashboard development, our experts have years of experience delivering successful BI implementations across industry verticals.
Historically, license fees for traditional business intelligence and data integration tools have consumed the majority of
customers' project budgets. Space offers enterprise-capable technology using a professional open-source model, and
customers may leverage this model to spend a greater percentage of their budget on professional services. Allocating
more budget to services allows BI consultants to spend more time with analysts in the critical business discovery and
information modeling phases, resulting in a superior design that has a more lasting impact on the business. Pentaho's
professional open source approach also allows customers to expand deployment without concern for per-user or per-seat
costs. Pentaho's support subscriptions provide developer assistance, certified software builds, problem resolution and
indemnification using an affordable "per-CPU" model. The following are the BI services offered by Space.
Pentaho Data Integration
- Extraction, transformation and loading (ETL)
- Data warehouse population with built-in support for slowly changing dimensions
- Export of database(s) to text-file(s) or other databases
- Import of data into databases, ranging from text-files to excel sheets
- Data migration between database applications
- Exploration of data in existing databases. (tables, views, synonyms ... )
- Information enrichment through lookup of data in various information stores (databases, text-files, excel sheets ... )
- Data cleansing by applying complex conditions in data transformations
Pentaho Analysis Services
- High performance, interactive analysis of large or small volumes of information
- "Dimensional" exploration of data, for example analyzing sales by product line, by region, by time period
- High-speed queries through the use of aggregate tables in the RDBMS
- Parsing of Multi-Dimensional eXpression (MDX) language into Structured Query Language (SQL) to retrieve answers to dimensional queries
- Advanced calculations using the calculation expressions of the MDX language
- Creation and formatting of standard parameterized operational reports
- GUI-based tool for report creation
- Full on-screen print preview
- XML-based report definitions
- Output to the screen, printer or various export formats:
- Fast, with minimal footprint and dependencies
Pentaho BI Platform
- Provides the architecture and infrastructure required to build solutions to business intelligence (BI) problems
- Solution engine integrates reporting, analysis, dashboards and data mining components to form a sophisticated and complete BI application
- Provides core BI infrastructure services including:
- Solution execution
- Web services
Click here to view a demo of Pentaho and feel free to contact us for more details about this product.